Thursday, July 26, 2012

Making a Glamour Necklace from a Button

When we were delivering a button order the other day to Katja's Quilt Shoppe, she had a huge tub of buttons on their counter they were sorting through.  For someone such as me who loves to sew cannot resist running my hands through all those buttons and taking in all the fun shapes and colors.  I came across one that really caught my eye and came home with me that day.  I could visualize it remade with polymer into some beads.  This is the button and a mold I made from regular scrap clay .....


... and here are some beads that I made from that button:


And here is a necklace I made for myself (yes, you are seeing correctly -- this is a different color than the beads above -- I wanted a necklace to coordinate with a bracelet and earrings I already had.)  Now all I need is a special event to wear this too!


.... I later made some buttons with shanks from that same mold.  I applied mica powders to each one to create different color combinations.


We were at Katja's store again today and so decided to look through her tub of buttons again and found a lot more to play with.


4 comments:

Cynthia Blanton said...

Gorgeous buttons and necklace. Question: can you wash the buttons with the mica powder on them?

2 Good Claymates said...

Thanks Cynthia. I make a ton of buttons with the mica powders and they go in the wash no problem. I just seal them extra well -- I explain how to do it in several of my tutorials. Basically I use two different sealers and then bake them again to help "fuse" it on. They come out very durable after.

Christine said...

The necklace looks beautiful.

I have just purchased some mica powders.I can't wait to try them out now!

Cara Jane said...

Wow those are so cool! The colours you used are great and look so much nicer than the original button. Must go hunt out some interesting buttons!