Friday, January 10, 2014

Pantone Spring 2014 Fashion Color Paloma

Paloma is the last of the ten Pantone Spring 2014 colors which is pretty much a basic neutral grey.

I wanted to create some pieces using a "tone on tone" affect.  This is where the same color is used in different saturations.  To create this look, I made these scarf clips using the Sutton Slice technique in the color Paloma (see below) with Charcoal (Recipe #1-9 in my Clay Color System tutorial).


The Sutton Slice technique, by Lisa Pavelka, is fun to do.  One thing I discovered is that the Kato clay is a much drier clay than other brands like Premo.  I found that when the clay is too dry, it is difficult to keep it from coming out of the texture sheet when slicing.  If you find this the case, then mix in a little bit of transluscent or liquid clay to make it more "sticky".

Here are two more scarf clips I made with the tone on tone effect in the Sutton Slice.  For the light green I used the Pantone color Hemlock and for the dark green I used the base color that I used to mix up the Hemlock, Cilantro (recipe # 7-3).


For the blue, I used the Pantone colors Dazzling Blue and Placid Blue to create the same tone on tone look.


Anytime you want to create a darker shade of a color, just either omit or reduce the white (mix) in the clay recipe.  To create a lighter shade, you would then add or increase the amount of white (mix).  You have noticed by now, that most of the time, instead of adding straight white to my color recipes, I use a white mix.  I always have a large amount of this mixed up in advance and handy all the time.  I find it adds more depth to my colors where adding straight white tends to leave them more "flat".   

Here is the clay color recipe for Paloma


* The White Mix # 1-2 is a base mix clay recipe found in my Color System tutorial which is available in our Etsy shop (as an instant download) or in our online store (which will be e-mailed within 24 hours).

No comments: