Sunday, April 27, 2014

Extruder Cane Designs Using Kato Clay

When I came across Bettina Welker's Pixelated Retro Blend Cane tutorial, I knew I had to give it a try! Then I came across the Rainbow Daisy Pen tutorial by Amber Elledge of Starless Clay and absolutely loved the bright colors she used.  I finally had a block of time to do some experimenting and decided to cover some seam rippers and a stylus pen so finally gave it a try using both methods.



In her tutorial, Amber shared her color mixes using Premo clay.  Since we work almost entirely in Kato clay, I pulled out some clay colors that I thought would make a bright  rainbow blend.  I thought I would share the colors that I used for those of you who have my Clay Color System tutorial.



Whenever I create a new cane or color blend, I like to document it with the color recipes I used and how it was done as in the index cards shown here:


These are the color recipes I used in the order of loading the extruder.

Plum - Clay Recipe # 10-5
Lighter shade - 1 part Plum + 2 parts white mix # 1-2

Bubble Gum - Clay Recipe # 11-3
Lighter shade - 1 part Bubble Gum (#11-3) + 2 parts white mix #1-2

Cayenne - Click here to see the Pantone color recipe
Lighter shade - 1 part Cayenne + 1-1/2 parts white mix # 1-2

Celosia Orange - Click here to see the Pantone color recipe
Lighter Shade - 1 part Celosia Orange + 1-1/2 parts white mix # 1-2

Freesia - Click here to see the Pantone color recipe
Lighter shade - 2 parts Freesia + 3 parts white mix # 1-2

Bright Chartreuse - Click here to see the Pantone color recipe
Lighter shade - 1 part Chartreuse + 1-1/2 parts white mix # 1-2

Teal - Clay color recipe # 8-4
Lighter shade - 1 part Teal (#8-4) + 1-1/2 parts white mix # 1-2

Dazzling Blue - Click here to see the Pantone color recipe
Lighter shade - 1 part Dazzling Blue + 2 parts white mix # 1-2

Violet - 4 parts Kato Violet + 1 part Kato White
Lighter shade - 1 part Violet + 2 parts white mix # 1-2

-----

Now for Bettina Welker's method of the Pixelated Retro cane, I used the same color recipes as above (Bright Chartreuse, Teal, Dazzling Blue, Violet, Bubble Gum).



I like how it turned out but decided to do a second batch and switched out the Bright Chartreuse green for Olive green (Recipe # 7-8).


3 comments:

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

What a great addition to your colour system, Carolyn!

Unknown said...

I liked this colour series so much I spent all day yesterday mixing the colours and making the retro canes. However I had to come up with my own version of light bubblegum as for the life of me I cannot find a recipe for fuchsia any where in my samples. Am I being blind? I ended up adding 2 x 1-2 to 1 x Bubblegum and it worked very nicely, but now I'm on a mission to find the missing fuchsia!

2 Good Claymates said...

Hi Carole. No you are not blind or going crazy. The reason you couldn't find fuchsia was my error! I didn't realize it until you brought it to my attention so I fixed it. When I was first mixing up I was writing down the colors I was using and was going to use a recipe I had called fuchsia and then changed my mind and used the Bubblegum instead but forgot to correct the 2nd line where I mixed the lighter shade. So sorry about that!